Friday, December 3, 2010

The Awesome Power of Rod Stewart

I should confess that I love awesome 80's 90s ballads with an almost unhealthy enthusiasm.. . there is no lyric safe from my tone deaf butchery no iconic dance move that has not been reinterpreted by my jerky uncoordinated limbs (currently I have a little Footloose action going on under the desk) Of course, some of these songs have become more meaningful depending on my life situation at the moment... what newly single girl has not felt a connection to Celine Dion's "All By Myself"?? I was, however, entirely unprepared for the special emotions Rod Stewart could elicit.. I am sure it could be chalked up to the surging rush of pregnancy hormones that my body is producing every second, but really is there a more beautiful tear-jerking song than Forever Young? I always liked it. So when I heard the first few notes while shopping at Michaels I was delighted. However, the moment Rod's velvety voice began singing the prayers of every parent for their child ..."may you grow to be proud dignified and true" I lost it.. not just tearing up demurely because I'm in public.. no I mean like I just won an Oscar type of emotion... By the time the magical songster told my fetus that whatever road he/she chooses I will be right behind them I was on my hands and knees sobbing...let me remind you that I was in Michaels in public at this point... Of course, this draws attention. Much to my extreme embarassment, and frankly relief in the kindness of humanity, a couple people came rushing over to find out why this woman is on all fours crying. Luckily, they must have all had experience with a pregnant woman because "I'm pregnant and I love this song" was all the explanation that was needed. I got up, gathered my basket of scrapbooking supplies and what was left of my dignity and calmly checked out, knowing, of course, that I could never return to Michaels again.

No comments:

Post a Comment