Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Waiting Game

Contrary to Sister Mary 'Don't Have Sex or Jesus will Cry's teachings in my high school health class apparently you do not get pregnant every time you have sex.. (Sister Mary was off on a good number of things but more on that later) So it turns out that even once you finally decide "YES we are doing this" inevitably you have to wait for the "right time" to actually step off the plank before which is plenty of time to reconsider and hem and haw. Luckily for us it was pretty easy to calculate a good time to jump off the ship (despite my husband's insistence that we should practice....sneaky man...) So we walked the plank...

5 minutes later... ;) ....

The hardest part of trying to get pregnant is fortunately not the "getting pregnant" part.. that's pretty fun... its the waiting.. its sort of like playing the lottery and not knowing who has won (or lost depending on your views on procreation) until 2 weeks later.. or a better example- like the presidential election of 2000... There is also something about actually taking the plunge and deciding that you do, in fact, want a baby... suddenly every baby is a reminder of what you are waiting for and what possibly could already exist. Its a completely strange world to live in for 2 weeks. In my actions, I was pregnant- I avoided booze, various other no no foods, and any medications.. but I was careful to not get my hopes up about a person whom I had no idea whether or not they even existed. There is also the rational yet completely irrational panic attacks that it might not be possible to conceive.. Did I spend too much of my younger days standing in front of a microwave??? (yes that was a legitimate thought I had many many times during those two weeks)

Sidenote: this waiting game is very good to play if you are ever anticipating the results of another life altering test... like the Bar Exam. While most of my friends were agonizing over the possibility that they failed and eagerly/nervously marking off days until the results were posted, I was cool as cucumber barely even aware that my entire professional future was being determined..

No comments:

Post a Comment